I am starting a new 12 week series called ‘Why Yoga Matters.’ I will be going into more detail as to why yoga is important to overall health for both the body and the mind. Today is the first issue and a new one will come out every week!
- The practice of yoga is meant to connect mind, body, and breath, to create balance and energy. It includes physical poses, breathing exercises, and meditation to improve overall health and well-being.
- Yoga is often considered a spiritual practice even though it has never actually been viewed as a religion in itself.
- Approximately 5 million people in the United States alone practice some type of yoga, whether it be in the form of dance, stretching,
exercise or even martial arts classes which usually have poses that originate from yoga.
- There are many types of yoga, like Integral, Bhakti, Ananda, Hatha and many more!
Benefits of Yoga
The practice of Yoga has numerous benefits including increased flexibility, strength, and balance. Combined with breathing exercises and meditation that works remarkably well to help promote overall physical and mental well-being.
Some more benefits include:
- Increased flexibility with poses that trigger different joints of the body that are not normally affected in most regular exercise routines.
- Improve the function and lubrication of joints, ligaments and tendons, and helps to alleviate pain.
- Helps to stimulate and massage your internal organs to help prevent disease.
- Brings more calm and relaxation into your life and helps your mind to let go of negativity and stress.
- Increases circulation and offers a complete detoxification of the body.
- Aids in focusing the mind on whats important and releasing what is not
- Excellent way to tone muscles and promotes strength, balance, and also aids in shedding excess fat from the body.
So what are you waiting for? Why not start taking part in this age old practice and enjoy the benefits for yourself. There’s no better day, than today!
To your first issue of Why Yoga Matters,